Now, after it's all over and I've had to listen to them both for 90 minutes, I reserve the right to follow McCain's lead, reverse course and say the debate never should have happened.
- 10 minutes till the debate. VT and ice in a glass, and I can't tell you how excited I am to watch this.
- Here we go.
- Good opening question --- Obama looks stiffer than I've seen him --- McCain looks relaxed, at least on question #1. He gives a real time answer; Obama gives an opening statement.
- Senior centers? Politically, is that really the best example of an ear mark you stopped?
- 20 minutes in - and I'm biased - but McCain looks like he's lived it, and Obama looks like he's read it.
- 30 minutes in - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... oh sorry, I'm awake.
- This is really meandering: financial crisis to climate change. Guh.
- Another subject: THANK YOU!
- Obama is getting relaxed and settling in.
- What are those words on the background? What's the point of putting them there if you can't read them.
- A question for Obama: When is it ok to listen to commanders on the ground, and when is ok to ignore them?
- Does McCain have a record? Just wondering.
- 28 minutes to go... woohooo.
- This is the problem with two Senators running for President, they both slip into Senate speak --- subcommittees, other Senators and bills. No wonder it's been 40 plus years since we've elected one of these "statesman."
- On a side note, I happen to be sitting next to a WMD... in the form of the gastrointestinal system of a large dog. She's gassin' her own people!
- "I don't even have a seal yet." Ha! Not sure anyone gets that, but I think it's funny.
- There is something very odd about the sentence: "Russia, 2 minutes."
- The convential wisdom was that this would be McCain's topic of advantage - foreign policy. I think Obama has held his own, as far as his performance.
- My clock says 10:32... now 10:35... shouldn't this thing be over.
- McCain advantage with the final word, and he made the most of it. Good closing statement.
Initial reaction: A draw... maybe a slight edge to McCain.
UPDATE: 11:00 p.m.
McCain ad up fast.
Question for McCain's camp. If Obama thinks McCain is right about all these things, shouldn't that make him ready to lead?