Not at all sure what to expect when this little web project named for a little man began, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised and gratified when sometime this last Friday, "Life with Mr. O" welcomed its 1,000th visitor.
Granted, 378 of these visits were likely made by one grandmother of the featured youngster, and another 343 were most probably made by the other. Still, that leaves a couple hundred others.
I'm not at all sure where this kind of traffic ranks on the list of all-time successful site launches in history. Somewhere behind the introduction of the iPhone and somewhere ahead of www.WeWantABush3rdTerm.com, I suspect.
1,000 visitors in, a few lessons have been learned.
1) A cute kid who does funny stuff is pretty popular --- especially with his blood relatives.
1a) Whenever you try to get a cute kid to do something funny, he doesn't.
2) Injuring oneself --- severely --- and then telling people about it also thrills.
3) Political indignation often is less popular than a simple photo of a simple dog.
4) Funny videos on YouTube are --- well ---- funny.
5) While writing under the influence of a few vodka tonics (or "Juicey" as Mr. O calls it) might enhance one's creativity, it also increases exponentially the need for a more sober editor. Many thanks, in this regard, to Mr. O's ma.
And thanks to our many visitors. As I'm sure you are finding, Mr. O is just the kind of toddler this country can rally behind. He's about changing more than just a few diapers. He's committed to this through the end. And so, we continue in search of a second thousand visitors.